Month: July 2019

  • Eyes set on state title

    A NEW-LOOK under-18 Hockey New England representative team will hit the turf for the first time tonight in their quest to steal this year’s state title.
    Nanjing Night Net

    The team was selected with plenty of players returning to the side including Brittany Parker, Claire Eichorn, Belinda Burton, and Alison McMillan.

    But there are a number of players taking to the field in the under-18s side for the first time including Brianna Sutton and Tahlia Rekunow who both play in younger grades.

    The side’s coach Paul Eichorn said although his side is young, they have what it takes to cause plenty of upsets at the state championships to be held in May.

    “There is a lot of experience in this year’s side and although they are young they have been around for a while,” he said.

    “But with the 14 players that have been selected I am confident we have what it takes to win.”

    Eichorn said he will look to some of the players with experience to lead the charge.

    “We have some new players but we also have a very high calibre among the side,” he said.

    “Brittany Parker was selected in the NSW squad and there are a number of girls who up there in elite levels.

    “There were a number of outstanding players who were not available to play but this year’s side is no way diminished.”

    The squad will train in addition to playing for their individual clubs in preparation for the state championships. The 2013 Hockey NSW championships will be held in Newcastle from May 17 – 20.

    The championships will see some of the best teams from around the state compete across a number of divisions.

    The New England side will contest the B division across the three-day competition.

    Hockey New England under-18 girls side:

    Belinda Burton (g oalkeeper), Emma Barwick, Alison McMillan, Emily Hart, Brittany Parker, Brook Monley, Brianna Sutton, Katrina Rekunow, Claire Eichorn, Natalie Waters, Teagan Cleanthous, Jess Burey, Tahlia Rekunow, Elise Matherson and Jacko Burton is a train-on.

    Brittany Parker.

    This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

  • Basketballextravaganza in Wagin 

    Raffle winner: Jen Day Community Development Foundation, Caroline Boyce, winner of the basketball signed by the Perth Wildcats, and Community Development Foundation founder, Barry Cable, at the presentations. In the air: Players wait for referee Reid Mullen to toss the ball.
    Nanjing Night Net

    Volunteers: Kyra Quinn, Sue Dowson and Brian Roderick serve up a great sausage sizzle at the basketball.

    IN a bid to get the Wagin Basketball Club back up and running, more than 60 people of all ages took part in a basketball extravaganza in Wagin on Tuesday, last week.

    The extravaganza started off with scratch matches followed by some hotly contested games refereed by Reid Mullen and Jodie Becker from Wagin District High School.

    There was lots of subbing of players to ensure everyone had an opportunity to play.

    On the second court, parents and older siblings were seen to be helping the younger children with their game skills and game play.

    Following on from the matches, a sausage sizzle drew the crowd for refreshments and presentations from the extravaganza supporters.

    Guest presenter and well-known football identity and founder of the Community Development Found ation, Barry Cable, addressed the gathering prior to the raffle draw.

    Mr Cable’s presentation was inspiring and discussed the benefits of becoming a volunteer including the support it provides children; the great feeling you get when you belong to a club; and also the health benefits you get by being active, not only physically, but also mentally, by getting out in the community and getting involved.

    Mr Cable specifically highlighted the importance of parents and carers becoming involved in their child’s sport and the benefit this has not only for themselves, but for their children and the wider community.

    In closing, he issued a plea to those at the meeting to step up and take on the running of the club for the benefits of all those concerned.

    Other presenters included the Club Passport Program, Kidsport and the Active After School Communities Program.

    Supporters of the extravaganza included the Community Development Foundation, YMCA, Department of Sport and Recreation, Attorney-General’s Department, 1ife, Rural Community Support Services, Keedac, the Shire of Wagin and the Australian Sports Commission.

    The raffle saw a basketball signed by Perth Wildcats won by local girl and basketball player Caroline Boyce.

    As a result of the extravaganza, several people volunteered to be part of the Wagin Basketball Club, from committee members to coaches to referees to canteen and uniform helpers.

    There are still a lot of opportunities to get involved, and the more help the better and so for more information about how you can help out or if you are interested in playing, contact the Shire of Wagin.

  • Motos rock Newborough track

    Silhoutte: Shaun Sandwith (Ballarat Rovers) and Ben Ramsden (Blue Rock) take off. photographs laura ferguson Eat my dust: Josh Weatherstone of Blue Rock leads the B grade pack around the bend.
    Nanjing Night Net

    Lift off: Blue Rock rider Jarrod Raper gets three feet of air in C grade.

    Tight battle: Peter Honebone and Ryan Keegan go toe to toe in C grade. photographs laura ferguson

    Motorsport

    VICTORIA’S motocross elite blazed the hillside trails at Newborough’s Blue Rock Motorcycle Club over the weekend in round one of the Victorian Senior Motocross Championships.

    More than 340 riders took on the technical course but it was Ballarat’s Joel Milesevic and AMA Supercross star Kade Mosig who stood tall when all the dust had settled.

    Pearcedale rider Mosig won the first pro lite race with a total time of 30.58.593 minutes, including the fastest lap of the day (01.58.942), just ahead of Milesevic and Jake Emanuelli.

    Race two came down to the wire with Milesevic’s time of 31.15.583 just edging out Mosig’s 31.16.272.

    Milesevic, who won the A Lites and under 19 class at last year’s titles, was thrilled to get his year off to a flying start.

    “The first race was a bit of a tough one, I didn’t get a great start. I took a while to get around a few riders. I was also a bit anxious and a bit aggressive,” he said.

    “In the second race I got a decent start… in the second lap Kade got stuck behind a few riders which gave me a bit of breathing space (and) towards the end I was trying to still be fast enough to beat him and did just enough.”

    Adam Monea took out the Pro Open class with a win and a second on Saturday over Blue Rock and defending 2012 Victorian A Grade Open champion Sam Martin, with Lewis Woods finishing in third.

    2012 Victorian women’s champion Kristy Gillespie is in the hunt for her record-breaking eighth state title and got her campaign off to a fantastic start by winning two out of her three motos on Saturday.

    Blue Rock club president Gavin Dunn said all the hard work that went into the course was worth it following an exceptional weekend of racing.

    “We couldn’t have asked for a better race meet,” he said.

    “There’s a real sense of pride for a club who gets to host a Victorian Championship (and) it’s satisfying for us to see riders enjoying themselves at the track.

    “The Pro Open and Pro Lites classes drew a lot of people to the fence; all in all it was a great weekend of racing.”

    Round two of the Victorian Motocross Championships will take place at Swan Hill on 15 and 16 June.

    This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

  • Jordyn Hare: Loved, recalled by many

    THE final post on Jordyn Hare’s Facebook page is a grim reminder of how random life can be.
    Nanjing Night Net

    “Kickin’ back in the cool spa with a cold one, listening to Pandora radio . . . don’t think this day could get much better.”

    Moments later he drowned after suffering an epileptic seizure.

    Had it been a 20-second seizure, the 18-year-old from Werribee would have realised he was drowning.

    But during Jordyn’s more serious seizures – categorised as ‘tonic-clonic seizures’ – he could black out for up to five minutes.

    His mother, Karin Wylie, says there was rarely any warning. Jordyn would freeze and turn stiff, as if someone had hit a pause button, then collapse.

    On February 7, alone in a spa, Jordyn slumped under the water and died.

    “He wasn’t aware of the seizures himself,” she says. “He might realise he’s bumped his head on the way down, but then he’d wake up and think he was fine. He wouldn’t tell anyone and sometimes we’d find out weeks later he had one.”

    An epileptic seizure occurs when large groups of neurons in the brain begin firing uncontrollably, disrupting the balance of electrical activity and can cause a loss of consciousness.

    Jordyn’s stepdad, Neil Playford, knows more than most how dangerous seizures can be. His daughter, 1, also died when her heart stopped during a episode.

    “Two people are now gone in my life due to it,” he says.

    “This is the part we need to bring awareness to – people who are suffering it don’t know that they could drive along, ride a horse or a bike or control machinery and accidentally kill someone or themselves.”

    Yesterday, his relatives wore purple ribbons to help publicise the 181,000 Australians with epilepsy.

    It’s one of the most common neurological disorders in the world, yet few people understand how to recognise someone having a seizure, according to Epilepsy Australia.

    Mr Playford says Jordyn (pictured) will be remembered as “one out of the box, that’s for sure”.

    “He was an adult trapped in a teenager’s body. Most 18-year-olds you can’t get out of bed and get to work, but this one, you couldn’t get him to bed.

    “Jordyn was starting his own audio-visual business and was heavily involved in the Weerama Festival, being one of the directors last year as a teenager.”

    A minute’s silence was held at Saturday’s Weerama Festival in memory of Jordyn.

    “He once said to me, ‘One day, Neil, I’m going to have thousands of people turn up to my festival’.

    “If he put his mind to something and said he was going to do it, he’d do it.

    “He would’ve been one of the greatest entertainment people in the industry in years to come.

    “He was just loved by so many people.”

    Jordyn Hare.

  • Williams Landing station: Buses join queues

    Williams Landing station on Monday.
    Nanjing Night Net

    Williams Landing station on Monday.

    CRITICS say five new bus routes into Williams Landing train station won’t ease Point Cook’s peak-hour traffic snarls unless arterial roads are duplicated.

    But after announcing that the $110 million station will open on April 28, the state government says the new plans pave the way to make it an efficient transport hub for Wyndham’s booming growth corridor.

    Public Transport Minister Terry Mulder on Monday announced bus links to the new station, including three routes through Point Cook, one from Hoppers Crossing via Wyndham Vale and Truganina and another from Hoppers Crossing via Point Cook.

    WHAT DO YOU THINK? Post a comment below.

    The new routes will operate on a 22-minute timetable and replace the 413 and 416 Hoppers Crossing-Laverton buses, which run at 40-minute intervals.

    Mr Mulder said the new routes would increase the number of bus services from 697 to 2120 a week.

    “Many passengers along streets where two bus routes converge, or within walking distance of two routes, will benefit from an even more frequent bus service,” he said.

    But Point Cook Action Group president Nick Michaelides said while five new bus links “seems on the surface like a step forward,” four of the routes ran into the station via Point Cook and Palmers Roads – notorious bottlenecks that cause lengthy peak-hour delays for commuters trying to access the freeway.

    He said without roads being duplicated buses wouldn’t be able to get through traffic to the station.

    “I can’t see those buses running on time,” he said.

    “They’ll be stuck in the traffic like everybody else in Point Cook is in the morning.”

    Western Metropolitan Liberal MP Andrew Elsbury said duplications would not occur until after the Sneydes Road overpass was built. Construction of the $40 million interchange is expected to start this year.

    “We can’t go ripping up any concrete on Point Cook Road or Palmers Road without doing anything on the Sneydes Road overpass, otherwise you’ll create an even worse bottleneck than what is already there.”

    Mr Elsbury said the new bus routes would ease congestion in the short term.

    “You’ll be able to move 30 times the number of people that you would with cars, most of which only have a single occupant going into the city,” he said.

    “Buses will be able to move people across Point Cook and take them to the mass transit system that is our public transport network.”

    Western Metropolitan Greens MP Colleen Hartland said buses would get jammed in traffic. She feared the new station’s 500-space car park would fall short of demand for a 75,000-strong population spanning Point Cook, Williams Landing and Truganina.

    “Werribee is the most overcrowded train line on the network,” Ms Hartland said.

    “Williams Landing will squash an extra 1000 people onto this line [in the morning peak] each day, without extra trains to cater for them.”