Month: September 2019

  • NBN delay could affect Wimmera

    NATIONALBroadband Network Communications has revised its rollout targets after construction contractors progressed more slowly than forecast.
    Nanjing Night Net

    The optic fibre network in Horsham was due to start construction in November this year, but could be delayed by up to three months.

    NBN chief executive Mike Quigley said some of NBN’s construction contractors had progressed work more slowly than forecast.

    “We are accountable for the delay and are disappointed it has occurred,” he said.

    “The problem is, we are just not seeing the ramp up of construction workers on the ground that would be needed to deliver project targets.

    “This lack of mobilisation has led us to make the judgment call to re-forecast our end-of-year projections.”

    Wimmera Development Association executive director Jo Bourke said she was unsure whether the delay would affect the Wimmera.

    “We have NBN representatives in the region at the moment giving information sessions, so we will definitely be asking them what the impact will be,” she said.

    “The delay announced might only affect current construction and construction has not yet commenced in the region.

    “We are actively involved in the planning with NBN about the optic fibre rollout in Horsham and the fixed wireless services in other communities.

    “We are keen to get an understanding about the time frame.”

    Mrs Bourke said faster broadband would allow residents in the Wimmera to be part of a global network.

    “We need to see it as an opportunity and not a threat,” she said.

    Horsham Rural City Council chief executive Peter Brown said he would like to see the NBN set up in the Wimmera as soon as possible.

    He said it would be disappointing if the delays affected the region.

    “The fact that we have a place in the queue is still very good for the community,” he said.

    “The world has become a digital economy and society and the Wimmera needs to be able to move forward with everyone else.”

    Shadow Minister for Regional Communications Luke Hartsuyker said the delay was creating a digital divide for regional areas.

    “Regional Australia stands to benefit more than most from the rollout of high speed broadband,” he said.

    “Yet the NBN rollout is so far behind schedule, and so poorly targeted, that the digital divide separating regional communities from economic and social opportunity is growing wider and wider.”

    Mr Hartsuyker said while there was no specific information about Horsham, the experience around the country had been that construction took longer than forecast.

    “It is impossible to tell whether construction is likely to start as scheduled,” he said.

    © NBN Co Limited 2012

    This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

  • Lynch claims club championship 

    Peter Keane (left) and John Gleeson (right) with James Keane Best Clubman winners Lissa Lathwell and Jimmy Langdon. 130325AB03 Koroit Cricket Club cricketers of the year (from left) Matthew Lynch (division two), Christian Francis (under 17s) and Matthew Sharman (division three). 130325AB02
    Nanjing Night Net

    THE search has begun to find a new leader for the Koroit Cricket Club after Jamie McKenzie announced he will stand down as coach.

    At the club’s presentation night last Friday night, at the Commercial Hotel, McKenzie said football coaching commitments and the arrival of his new baby in June meant he would not have the time to coach but would continue on as a player.

    “I really enjoyed coaching and met a lot of good people at the club,” McKenzie said.

    “Even though the division two team didn’t have the success we would have liked we were competitive all season and there was improvement from a lot of players within the club.”

    McKenzie said the club now had some good depth with a strong group of players in division three as well as some promising juniors.

    He said the division two team had a good bowling attack with two top-order batsmen on the top of the recruiting wishlist.

    The presentation night saw Matthew Lynch a popular winner of the Peter Williams Club Champion award for his efforts with both bat and ball for the season.

    Opening batsman Mathew Sharman won the division three cricketer of the year award, while dynamic all-rounder Christian Francis was named the under 17 cricketer of the year.

    The James ‘Jim Bob’ Keane best clubman award was shared by Jimmy Langdon and Lissa Lathwell.

    Both the late Peter Williams and James Keane were respected past players of the club. Club president John Gleeson awarded his president’s trophy to Bob Shanahan.

    AWARDS

    Division two Club Champion: Matthew Lynch. Batting aggregate: Jamie McKenzie 214 runs.

    Batting average: Jonathan Auld 22.78.

    Bowling aggregate: Janes Reid and John Geier 22 wickets.

    Bowling average: John Geier 12.27.

    Coach’s award: Jack Lynch.

    Encouragement award: Bailen McDonald.

    Division three Cricketer of the year: Matthew Sharman. Batting aggregate and average: Matthew Sharman 517 runs at 57.44.

    Bowling aggregate: Lance Lloyd 21 wickets.

    Bowling average: Craig Tobias 14.07.

    Captain’s award: Paul Noble.

    Encouragement award: Nick Smith.

    Under 17s Cricketer of the year: Christian Francis.

    Batting aggregate and average: Nick Smith 136 runs at 17. Bowling aggregate: Christian Francis 12 wickets.

    Bowling average: Ethan Tobias 10.25.

    Coach’s award: Bailen McDonald.

    Encouragement award: Patrick Brady.

    James ‘Jim Bob’ Keane Best Clubman Award: Lissa Lathwell and Jimmy Langdon.

    President’s award: Bob Shanahan.

  • Court hears man bit police officer

    AN Orange man who allegedly bit a police officer on the arm several times after a violent altercation while trying to escape faced Orange Local Court on a string of charges on Monday, and was ordered to be taken to Bloomfield for a psychiatric assessment.
    Nanjing Night Net

    When Timothy Ah-See was escorted handcuffed into the dock he acknowledge three young women sitting in the back of the courtroom, blowing them a kiss and gesturing to them he needed money for cigarettes.

    Aboriginal Legal Aid solicitor Arjun Chhabra told relieving magistrate Michael Allen after speaking with his client in the cells at the court room he felt confident to make a section 33 application under the Mental Health Act to have his client mentally assessed.

    “At this stage I am not in a position to enter any pleas for my client,” Mr Chhabra said.

    Mr Allen ordered that if Ah-See was assessed at Bloomfield and did not fall under a section 33 of the Mental Health Act, he should be immediately returned to Orange court for the case against him to proceed.

    Mr Allen told the court he had papers before him that indicated Ah-See was already on bail to face court on April 2 for alleged stalking and intimidation, malicious damage and failing to appear in court while on bail, and was also scheduled to appear in court on May 27 on other charges of allegedly assaulting police and resisting police.

    When the issue of the apprehended violence order was addressed one of the young women stood up and called out to the magistrate.

    “I don’t want him to …,” she said before police prosecutor Andy Bobin swung around and pointed to the young woman.

    “You sit down and be quiet please,” he said.

    Police allege Ah-See was arrested at a unit in Dalton Street on Friday following an alleged domestic violence-related assault.

    While at the police station he told officers he felt unwell and was taken to Orange hospital where he was kept under observation until 6.30am when he was discharged.

    Police further allege that while Ah-See was being walked to the police truck in handcuffs a violent struggle took place with Ah-See breaking free and running into nearby bushes, before he was caught and walked back to the police vehicle.

    According to police Ah-See struggled violently and allegedly bit a constable several times on the left bicep.

    Another officer struck out with his police baton.

    As the struggle between officers and Ah-See continued a Taser was deployed.

    As police continued to move with Ah-See towards the police vehicle he broke free again and allegedly began throwing rocks at the officers. One of the officers then sprayed Ah-See with capsicum spray.

    Ah-See ran and jumped into a parked car but was retrieved by police, a security officer and a nurse who assisted the accused back into the emergency department where he was treated to counter the effects of the spray.

    Magistrate Michael Allen has ordered that if Timothy Ah-See doesn’t fall under a section 33 of the Mental Health Act he should return to Orange court for the case against him to proceed.

    This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

  • Former church youth leader to stand trial over allegations of sexual assault

    A FATHER and former church youth leader will fight allegations he sexually abused a local girl a number of times since she was 13 years old.
    Nanjing Night Net

    The 39-year-old married man, pleaded not guilty to a string of sexual assault charges at the Port Macquarie Local Court on Thursday, March 22.

    He was charged with one count of sexual intercourse with a child aged between 10 and 14; two counts of sexual intercourse with a child between 14 and 16 years of age; and two counts of indecent assault of a child under 16 years.

    His case has now been listed for callover at the District Court, Sydney Downing Centre on April 17, where a date for his trial will be decided.

    Some of the evidence against the accused includes a police-recorded phone conversation between the victim and accused, transcripts of interviews, text messages and handwritten letters to the accused.

    But the accused has denied ever having any sort of physical involvement with the victim.

    On August 29, 2012 he went voluntarily to the Port Macquarie police station and denied the allegations before him.

    Police said he had admitted to sending text messages of a sexual nature, but said he had done so because he was enjoying the attention of a younger female.

    The victim was said first to have met the accused at a church, at which the adult man was heavily involved.

    Police alleged the man first assaulted her when she was 13 years old at a social gathering.

    A statement of police facts tendered to the court said the accused reportedly had sent the victim sexually explicit text messages for a number of months .

    In January 2011, the young girl ceased contact with the accused because she was scared someone would find out.

    Later, he would ask reportedly to meet the victim in secret at a particular park in Port Macquarie.

    There, allegedly, he assaulted the victim sexually, professing his love for the minor, and elling her he wanted to leave his wife:

    “I am getting divorced so I can be with you,” he said, allegedly.

    In March, 2012 the girl’s mother found three notebooks with unfinished letters to the accused detailing the alleged offences.

    The mother reported this at the Port Macquarie police station.

    In June, the victim gave a statement at the station, participating later in a video walk-through of the incident at the park.

    Under provisions of a surveillance device warrant, police officers recorded a telephone conversation between the victim and the accused in August 2012, in which the accused allegedly made certain admission to the offences.

    At the Port Macquarie police station in August 2012, the accused told officers the allegations against him were false.

    Reportedly, he admitted to going to the social gathering where the first alleged offence took place.

    However, he denied any assault took place there.

    He also denied ever meeting the victim at the park, saying he had never heard of the location, nor had he ever been there.

    A magistrate ordered the man’s bail be disposed of.

    This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

  • Future stars warm up for winter

    ORANGE Hawks has narrowly missed out on claiming the CYMS under 18s knockout, going down to Bathurst Panthers 9-0 in the final last Sunday
    Nanjing Night Net

    The closely fought decider win was the men in black’s fourth straight under 18s knockout crown, with the Panthers outfit recovering from an early 16-12 defeat against Oberon to take out the 2013 crown over the two blues.

    “I wasn’t too worried about the final score,” Hawks coach Jared Brodrick said.

    “It was a long day for the boys and both teams were out on their feet. We were down to one reserve.”

    But the positive results earlier in the day gave Brodrick plenty to smile about.

    Hawks accounted for Blayney 18-6 in their first clash before defeating CYMS 24-6 in the second round to progress through to the semi-final.

    There, Hawks knocked over perennial under 18s powerhouse and last year’s Group 10 premiers Bathurst St Pat’s 24-16.

    The two blues mentor said all the signs were positive for 2013.

    “We were missing a few blokes as well. It’s largely the same side as last season but we’ve picked up a few good forwards from last year’s under 16s. They all go to school together and clicked really well on the weekend,” Brodrick said.

    CYMS used the home knockout as a means to trial a number of players and kick start its 2013 campaign.

    Lock Cody Lang shone while five-eighth and 2012 Western Rams representative Jarrod Robbins stood tall in an otherwise lacklustre showing from the green and golds’ juniors.

    CYMS went down 16-0 to St Pat’s in game one before losing to Hawks in the second round.

    Still, CYMS coach Kurt Beahan was optimistic about his side’s hope this winter, adding a top four berth was within reach.

    “Every team there looked beatable,” he said.

    “I wasn’t all that impressed with my team in the first game, but there was massive improvement in the second game from us. “We had five fairly good players out with injury and cricket and what not, but that’s all over now and our focus is on round one.”

    BUSTING THROUGH: Liam Brodrick in action for Hawks under 18s on Sunday. The two blues made it through to the final of the CYMS knockout. Photo: JUDE KEOGH 0324knockout3

    This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.